|Lite Lemon Loaf Cake|
Lite Lemon Loaf Cake
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hour 10 min
- 7 oz low fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lemon, (you’ll need the entire zest and 2 tbsp of the juice
- 2 cups Gluten Free Bisquick
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (or 175 °C) and spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with gluten free nonstick spray.
- Grate the lemon zest into the sugar and stir to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and add the lemon juice and vanilla to the bowl with the eggs.
- To make the batter, using either a stand mixer or hand mixer beat the butter and yogurt together until smooth. Add the sugar and lemon zest mixture and beat for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is light fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl periodically to ensure that everything is well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla, lemon juice and eggs one at a time making sure that each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Add about half of the Bisquick and beat until it’s well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the other half of the Bisquick.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out on top.
- Bake it for between for between 55 minutes and 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean and the cake has reached the desired color. My cake passed the toothpick test at 55 minutes yet I still baked it for an additional 15 minutes since I prefer a more deeply colored crust.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes before removing it then cool it completely before slicing.
Notes: If you’re not following a gluten free diet you can use 2 cups of flour with 1 ½ tsp baking powder in place of the gluten free Bisquick. This cake has a mild lemon flavor. For a more intense lemon flavor you can substitute 2 teaspoons of lemon extract in place of the fresh lemon juice. To make a lemon glaze combine 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with one cup of confectioner’s sugar and stir until smooth. Then pour the glaze over the cooled cake.